Sweet and sour is one of our favourite sauces we get from the Chinese takeaway. Unlike take away sauces this sweet and sour chicken contains much less added sugar and salt. The sauce is versatile, ring the changes and have it with meatballs or vegetables instead of chicken. You can also make the sauce in advance, or in bulk and freeze it. The sauce recipe makes a generous 2 adults and 2 children portion, so you can either have lots of sauce – like me – or keep the left over sauce for something else.
|Serves: 2 adults and 2 children||Prep Time: 5 mins||Cooking Time: 25 minutes|
|400||grams||tinned tomato or passata|
|375||grams||chicken chopped into bite sized pieces|
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and pepper. Fry gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, vinegar, pineapple juice and sugar.
- Simmer for 10 minutes until the onion and pepper are soft.
- Turn the heat off and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Blend the sauce.
- Mix the soy sauce and the cornflour together, add to the sauce and cook for 2 minutes.
- Taste the sauce, add more soy sauce or vinegar if you wish to, to suit your family’s taste.
- Add the chicken to the sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes or until the chicken pieces are cooked.
- Serve with brown rice or noodles, and veggies.