When I am looking for easy chicken recipes, this simple cheesy chicken is my go to recipe. It is so easy to prepare your kids can have a go, and gives a fantastic end result. The wholegrain mustard gives it a lovely flavour, but is not overpowering. Once cooked, you end up with lovely cheesy juices ideal for pouring over mashed potatoes.
The first time I made this I was not entirely convinced mixing milk with the grated cheese would work, how wrong was I! I have only tried making this recipe with chicken but it would also work well with smoked cod or haddock. Don’t feel that you have to stick rigidly to recipes, very often you can swap chicken for fish or beef for pork. Veggies are the most versatile of all, just add whatever veg suits your family. Frozen peas and sweetcorn give instant colour to a dish and are loved by everyone. Don’t worry if your kids only eat a small selection of veg, getting them into the habit of eating veg everyday is more important.
Serves: 2 adults and 2 children
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
chicken cut into bite sized pieces
cheddar cheese grated
- Preheat your oven to 200’C/180’C fan oven/Gas mark 6.
- Place the chicken in a single layer in an ovenproof dish.
- Grate the cheese and mix in a bowl with the milk and wholegrain mustard. Pour and spread the cheese mixture evenly on top of the chicken.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. The cooking time will depend on the size of your chicken pieces.
- When the time is up, take the chicken out of the oven and check that the chicken is cooked. The flesh should be white not pink.
- Serve with mashed potatoes to soak up all the juice, and your choice of veg