I came up with this mushroom and chickpea curry when I was in the supermarket recently I bought a pack of chestnut mushrooms. They were reduced from £1 to just 26p. For me, that was too good a bargain to walk past. Chestnut mushrooms have more taste and flavour than white mushrooms, so if you can, use chestnut mushrooms.
|Serves: 2 adults||Prep Time: 5 mins||Cooking Time: 20 minutes|
|1/2||onion chopped small|
|1||clove garlic crushed|
|120||grams||chick peas (drained weight) approx 1/2 a tin|
|400g||tin chopped tomatoes|
- Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok. Add the onion and cook over a medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add the curry paste and garlic, and cook for 1 minute.
- Chop the mushrooms into 4 or 6 pieces depending what size they are.
- Add them to the pan and stir well to make sure they get a good coating of the curry paste.
- Stir in the yoghurt, lemon juice, chopped tomatoes and chick peas.
- Simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- If at the end of the cooking time there seems to be a bit much sauce, thicken the sauce with corn flour.
- Serve with brown rice.