These crunchy, golden nuggets of soft potato belie their simplicity. We all love chips, whether they are baked in the oven or from the chip shop. However if you are looking for healthy dinner recipes these mini roast potatoes are lightning quick to make and will keep everyone happy. They are the smaller sibling of my potato wedges, and will disappear at lightning speed from plates.
Heating the oil up first means that the cubes of potato start cooking as soon as they hit the oil. It also stops them from absorbing too much oil, this could make them soggy rather than crisp. They are perfect for everyday and when having friends round. Also, if your kids have friends round for tea, they are perfect if you are not sure what their friends eat.
Just like the potato wedges, use any size of potato that you have in the cupboard. Using smaller ones will give you more mini roasts with a crispy skin side. A favourite in my house.
These mini roast potatoes go with virtually anything. From salad, sausages or chilli to replacing the potatoes in hotpot. They will disappear.
|Serves: 2 adults and 2 children||Prep Time: 5 mins||Cooking Time: 15 minutes|
|1 1/2||tablespoons||olive oil|
- Preheat the oven to 200’C/220’C no fan/Gas 7.
- Wash the potatoes but don’t peel them.
- Chop them into cubes about 2cm now size, or any size you fancy.
- Put the oil onto a baking tray and heat in the oven for 3 minutes. You need your baking tray to be big enough for the cubes of potatoes to sit in a single layer. This way they are all in contact with the hot tray.
- Place the potato cubes onto the tray and coat with the oil.
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes, turning the potatoes over half way.
- Serve straight away. They do reheat well if, on the off chance you have any leftover.