Sweet and sour sauce is one of my favourites, and it is one of the most popular dishes bought from the Chinese takeaway here in the U.K. Unfortunately, shop bought and takeaway sauces are packed full of added sugar and salt. I came across this easy sweet and sour sauce across this recipe a few years ago and have never looked back. It is definitely a healthy dinner recipe which packs a punch in flavour. Even I was surprised how good it tasted when I first made it.
This sauce freezes really well so is an ideal sauce to double or even triple make, and freeze the rest for a busy day. There are quite a few ingredients but is really simple to make. The recipe needs 4 tablespoons of pineapple juice. Rather than buying a large carton of pineapple juice, which you do not need or finish, buy a tin of pineapple in fruit juice. The pineapple can be had in a fruit salad along with any remaining juice.
The sauce is really flexible and goes with chicken, meatballs, fish or vegetables. Basically you can put it with anything you like. As the sauce is whizzed up, no one will ever know that there is red pepper in it! These quantities make a generous amount of sauce, so if you are a sauce lover like me it is perfect. However, there are several uses for the extra sauce. You could put it into the freezer to use another day, use it as the basis for soup or another sauce, or mix it into cooked noodles with chicken or meat and your choice of veggies. A tasty quick healthy dinner recipe. Give it a try for yourself, hopefully your family will ask for it again and again.
|Serves: 2 adults and 2 children (generous)||Prep Time: 5 mins||Cooking Time: 20 minutes|
|80||grams||red pepper chopped|
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and red pepper. Fry gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, vinegar, pineapple juice and sugar.
- Simmer for 10 minutes until the onion and pepper are soft.
- Blend the sauce, with a stick blender.
- Mix the soy sauce and cornflour together, add to the sauce, stir well and cook for 2 minutes.
- When you sauce is ready taste it. You may wish to add more soy sauce or vinegar to suit your family’s tastes.
- Serve with your choice of chicken, fish or meatballs, with rice or noodles and veggies to accompany it.