I love recipes with only a few ingredients, they are immediately appealing as the less ingredients there are, generally the less complicated the recipe. Coconut chicken with peas is one such recipe with only 4 ingredients, and chicken and coconut is a combination made in heaven. Don’t worry if there seems too much coconut milk, as the milk boils gently it reduces down and you end up with a thick and creamy sauce. Feel free to substitute the frozen peas for spinach, sweetcorn, green beans or whatever goes down well in your family.
When browning the chicken don’t stir it around too much otherwise it will not take on a lovely golden colour. I tried making this once by adding the chicken raw to the coconut milk and cooking it that way. Not visually attractive as the chicken became very white and unappealing. We eat with our eyes as well as our mouths, this is especially the case with kids. We are more likely to eat something that looks good, and that means colourful.
Serves: 2 adults and 2 children
Prep Time: 5 mins
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
|1||tablespoon||coconut or vegetable oil|
|375||grams||chicken cut into bite sized pieces|
|150||grams||frozen peas defrosted|
- Heat the oil in a wok or large frying pan.
- Add the chicken, and fry until golden brown.
- Defrost your peas by putting them in a bowl and covering with boiling water.
- Add the coconut milk to the chicken, stir then simmer for 10 minutes. By this time the chicken will be cooked and the coconut milk will have thickened. If the sauce is too thick just add a little water.
- Add in the peas and stir.
- Serve with brown rice and some veg