This recipe for braised red cabbage is from ‘Delia Smith’s Cookery Course’ and perfect for cold winter evenings served with sausages and baked potatoes. I just had to include this recipe, as the smell that fills the kitchen is comforting and homely. We always had it with sausages but it goes equally well with left over turkey at Christmas. You may think that it is looking dry when you stir it during cooking, but by the time it has cooked it will be lovely.
Serves: 2 adults and 2 children
Prep Time:20 mins
Cooking Time: 3 hours
onions chopped small
bramley apples peeled quartered and chopped small
garlic chopped small
white wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 150’C/Gas2.
- Remove the tough outer leaves from the cabbage, quarter, core and shred finely.
- Place just under half of the cabbage into a large casserole dish. Add half the onion and apple as well as half of the spices and garlic.
- Place half of the remaining cabbage into the casserole, along with the remainder of the apple, onion and spices.
- Place the remaining cabbage over the top, then pour over the wine vinegar.
- Put a lid on and into the oven for 2 1/2 – 3 hours, stir a couple of times during cooking.